Hair loss and hair fall can both dim any woman’s dreams of sporting that thick, flowing, and model-esque locks. Thinning hair is truly bothersome and anxiety-inducing for ladies, and the thought of not knowing which hairstyle to rock adds up to their worries.
Fortunately, women with thinning hair now have lots of options when it comes to styling their tresses. You need not sacrifice your overall style and beauty just because of hair fall or hair loss conditions. A few tweaks to your current ‘do is all you need!
In this post, we’ve compiled ten volumizing hairstyles for ladies who have thinning hair due to hair fall. Take your pick and head to your stylist ASAP for gorgeous tresses despite those annoying hair fall problems!
A Few Considerations to Take Note
Before we dive into the hairstyles, let’s take note of some vital information about styling your thinning hair:
- You’ll likely use heated tools most of the time if you style your hair in waves or curls. Combat possible hair damage by using a heat protectant before styling your hair and applying a leave-in product to seal in moisture after styling. You can also invest in full-ceramic styling tools that help retain moisture and lessen damage as you style.
- Visit your favorite hairstylist if you’re planning to drastically chop your hair into any of the styles mentioned above. Don’t attempt to cut your hair alone. It’s best to leave styles such as shags, bangs, lobs, and bobs to professional stylists’ hands.
- Don’t hesitate to ask your stylist’s opinion and suggestions for the most volumizing yet flattering hairstyle option according to your personality. Your stylist will likely decide ‘dos that are right for you by assessing your face shape, hair texture, natural hair color, and any preferences you’d like.
- Continue your hair loss or thinning hair treatments such as Minoxidil use, essential oils head massage, and hair masks and packs. Some ladies get carried away with styling their hair in a voluminous way, forgetting to treat the root causes of their thinning hair or hair loss.
Now, let’s get started with the 10 best hairstyles for ladies with thinning hair:
1. Deep Side Part
Tweaking your hair’s part might just be the answer to your thin hair woes! Lump most of your tresses together on one side of your head to achieve the look. Doing so adds volume and helps add a lift to your roots. This style is perfect for almost anyone, whether you sport short tresses or long locks.
2. Layered Pixie Cut
Pixie cuts are generally one of the best ‘dos you can sport if you’ve got hair fall problems and thinning hair. Shorter strands give an illusion of thickness all over your head. Choppy layers added to a pixie cut create volume and make your thin hair appear thicker.
Opting for a bit longer pixie? Try sweeping your hair to one side, creating another volumizing deep side part to match.
3. Side-Swept Bob
Just like the deep side part, side-swept bobs make your hair appear fuller and thicker. Bobs (and short hairstyles in general) are perfect for thinning hair because longer styles tend to weigh down your tresses and make them look flat. A side-swept bob also gives added shape and body to your hair.
4. Textured Lob
Long bob cuts (lobs) styled in loose and messy curls lend an added texture to your thinning hair. The shoulder-length hairstyle frames your face nicely without weighing it down. Lightly-layered lobs with waves and curls are universally flattering for ladies with thinning tresses.
Ramp up the volumizing effect of this style by opting for shadowed or darker hair color at the roots, progressing to soft-toned highlights all throughout the length of your tresses. Getting a balayage is a great idea to achieve this effect.
5. Full Bangs
Thick, blunt, and full bangs provide your hair with additional density, making it look fuller in an instant. Try sporting a full fringe if you’d like to keep your long hair despite the thinning (remember that shorter hairstyles work better for thinning tresses).
You can also pull up your long hair in a top bun, with your full bangs adding more dimension and volume to your finished style.
Full bangs work great for short to medium-length ‘dos, too! Paired with a bob, full fringes take volume to a whole new level.
At most, the full bangs style is a versatile ‘do that’s sure to keep your locks looking thick and full, whatever way you wish to style it.
6. Bob with Messy Waves
Messy curls lend extra body to thinning hair cut to a bob hairstyle. This leads to a beautiful wearable ‘do that’s perfect for your everyday look.
Bobs with messy waves look even more voluminous when colored with a mix of contrasting hues. If you’re a brunette, try getting a strawberry blonde balayage to highlight your messy waves and give it a fuller appearance.
7. Medium-Length Curls
Curls are a surefire way to add a flowy texture that subtly adds volume to your thinning hair. Styling your shoulder-length hair with soft, tousled curls is a lovely way to keep thinning hair looking fabulously fuller.
Achieve the look by running heated rollers or a curling wand through your hair. It’s a relatively quick, fuss-free, and low-maintenance daily routine that can give you lovely and thick-looking locks in a jiffy!
8. Messy Shag
Lots of style gurus attest that 2020 will be a big year for modern shag haircuts, and with good reason. The shag cut is surprisingly flattering for any hair type and can be worn in short, medium, and long lengths. Curly, wavy, and stick-straight strands can all rock the shag!
Medium-length messy shag ‘dos work exceptionally well for providing a volume boost to thinning tresses. The carefully-cut layers and its resulting disheveled look lends more movement and texture to your hair.
9. Shoulder-Grazing A-Line Bob
Not a fan of layered cuts or short ‘dos? No worries, an A-line bob cut that touches your shoulders could be your best bet!
The uniform lines created by a shoulder-length A-line bob provide your thinning hair an aesthetically-thicker look with minimum effort. Blunt ends and color highlights take this easy-going hairstyle from flat to fab.
10. Side Bangs
Just like its sister, the full bangs, side bangs are equally great for masking overall thinness and providing a boost in hair volume. Side bangs softly frame the face and give an illusion of thickness, especially when worn with a top knot or soft-top buns.
Wearing your long but thinning hair with face-framing side bangs also gives the impression of thicker hair at the crown.
Side bangs worn with curls and deep side parts make for a winning combination that breathes body and fullness to flat and thinning tresses.
More Tips for Volumizing Thinning Hair
- Switch up your hair part every now and then. Keep in mind that center parts can make your tresses look limp. Side parts ramp up the volume and fullness of your hair, especially as it grazes your face.
- Tease your hair at the roots when working with styles such as messy waves, tousled curls, and short pixie layers. A gentle tease lifts the roots and adds body to your ‘do. Stay away from sleek looks that make hair look flat.
- Bluntly-cut ends lend a thicker and fuller finish to any hairstyle. Similarly, darker-colored roots give the impression of depth and thickness.
- Achieve beachy tousled waves by braiding your hair the night before. Carefully unravel the braid upon waking up, run a bit of styling product to seal in the curls, and voila! Instant messy waves without the risk of damage from heated tools!
- Be wary of sporting bangs if you suffer from female pattern baldness. This condition begins with hair loss at the crown, so cutting bangs will remove the hair right away from where it is needed the most. Strategic texturing can be used instead to create an illusion of bangs and sport the fringed look without removing too much hair from the crown.
Over to You!
The right cut, color, and style can instantly transform your thinning tresses to fabulous ones! Go ahead and try out one of our suggestions to volumize your locks. But don’t forget to continue addressing your thinning hair and hair loss issues through home remedies and medical advice.
And before you go, maybe you’ve got a male relative or buddy with thinning hair problems as well. Why not browse through this post about hairstyles that suit guys with thinning hair to help him out? It’s the male counterpart of this ladies-centered post!
Tried out any of our hairstyle suggestions for thinning hair? How did it go? Share your experiences through the comments section below!